Best Blackjack Strategy Guide
Online Blackjack is one of the best casino games where player skill and strategy can make a real difference in the results. The goal of Blackjack is to get closer to 21 than the dealer, without exceeding 21. By employing a good Blackjack strategy can significantly improve your chances of winning.
Our gameplay experts have created this comprehensive Blackjack strategy guide, which will assist new players as well as more experienced gamblers. We’ll give our readers the best possible cheat sheet to use and some great Blackjack tips. Let’s jump right in and find out more about Blackjack Strategies.
Top Blackjack Casino Sites
Basic Blackjack Strategy
The most basic Blackjack strategy involves following a strategy chart. These strategy charts will tell players what the best move to make it, depending on what your hand is valued at, compared to the dealer’s face up card. The strategy outlines all possible moves the player can make following their initial cards. These include:
- Hit or Stand – The most basic decision to make is whether you want to receive another card (hit) or receive no additional cards (stand).
- Split – If you receive two identical cards, for example, two 6s, you can choose to split. This will turn your one hand into two separate hands.
- Double Down – If you think you have a really strong chance of winning, you can Double Down. This doubles your initial bet and gives you one additional card.
- Surrender – In some versions of Blackjack, you might have the surrender options. You can surrender if you think you have little to no chance of winning if it is available. When surrendering, you will only lose half your bet. Some games allow you to surrender at any time, while others will only allow you to surrender if the dealer’s face-up card is an Ace.
Blackjack Strategy Chart
Below is our helpful Blackjack Strategy Chart, which will allow you to quickly and easily identify your next move. On the left, you will find carious hand totals, indicated with either an H or an S. If there is an H, it means it is a Hard Hand, with no Ace present. S indicates it is a Soft Hand and has an Ace. Along the top, you will find the values for the dealer’s face-up card. Simply find where your total and the dealer’s card intersect, and the table will tell whether you should Hit, Stand, Split, or Double Down.
Blackjack Strategy – When to Split
Deciding when to split is something many new players struggle with. Below we have some general rules that will tell you when to split and when you shouldn’t.
- Pair of 2s, 3s, 7s: Split when the dealer has a 7 or lower, hit if the dealer has 8 or higher
- Pair of 4s: Split when the dealer holds a 5 or a 6. If the dealer has anything else, hit.
- Pair of 5s: We do not recommend splitting with a pair of 5s. Rather Double Down if the dealer has 2-9, and Hit if the dealer has a 10-value card or an Ace
- Pair of 6s: Split when the dealer has a 6 or lower. Hit if the dealer has 7 or higher.
- Pair of 8s: Split when the dealer has 9 or less. Hit when the dealer has 10 or Ace
- Pair of 9s: Stand when the dealer has a 7, 10, or Ace. Split for all other cards
- Pair of 10s: Never Split a pair of 10s. You are almost guaranteed a win when you have a hand valued at 20. No matter what card the dealer has, we recommend standing.
- Pair of Aces: Always split of pair of Aces, regardless of what the dealer’s card is.
Hard Hands Blackjack Strategy
As mentioned, a Hard Hand is one that does not have an Ace, and as such, the hand has a fixed value. Below is a list of betting decisions we recommend based on a number of Hard Hands.
- Hard 5, 6, 7, 8: Always hit, no matter what the dealer’s face-up card is.
- Hard 9: If the dealer has 3-6, Double Down. Otherwise, you should hit.
- Hard 10: Double Down no matter what the dealer has unless they have a 10 or an Ace. If they have those, Hit
- Hard 11: Double Down on everything except when the dealer has an Ace. If the dealer has an Ace, you should Hit.
- Hard 12: Stand when the dealer has 4, 5, or 6. Hit when the dealer has anything else.
- Hard 13-16: Stand when the dealer has 2-6, but hit when the dealer has 7 or higher.
- Hard 17 or Higher: It is always recommended to stand on 17 or higher.
Blackjack Soft Hand Strategy
A soft hand is one that has an Ace, which can be valued at 1 or 11. We recommend making the following betting decisions when you have a Soft Hand.
- Soft 13 and 14: When the dealer has 5 or 6, you should Double Down. Hit on all other cards
- Soft 15 and 16: Double Down when the dealer has 4, 5, or 6. You should Hit on all other cards.
- Soft 17: We recommend doubling down if the dealer has 3-6. All other cards, Hit.
- Soft 18: If the dealer has 2, 7, or 8, you should stand. When the dealer has 3-6, double down. Hit when the dealer has 9, 10, or an Ace.
- Soft 19 and 20: Always stand when you have a Soft 19 or 20, regardless of what the dealer’s card is.
Blackjack Strategy Tips
There are quite a large number of Blackjack variants out there, each with its own ruleset. We have some general strategy tips that can be applied to a wide range of Blackjack games.
- Blackjack Surrender Strategy – Some versions of Blackjack allow players to surrender if they don’t believe they have a good chance of winning. Here are some tips for surrendering in Blackjack.
- You should surrender on a Hard 15 if the dealer has a 10.
- If you have a Hard 16, surrender when the dealer has a 10
- If you have a Hard 16, surrender when the dealer has an Ace or a 9
- Never Take Insurance – Some versions of Blackjack allow players to take insurance. You are wagering whether the dealer’s hidden card is a 10-value card. This bet has a high house edge, so it is not recommended.
Advanced Strategies for Blackjack
For more advanced players, there are various other strategies that can be used. Below you will find some of the more advanced Blackjack Strategies out there that can be used.
- Card Counting – One of the most advanced Blackjack Strategies is counting cards. With this, a value is assigned to each card in an attempt to better predict what will be dealt next. However, it needs to be done correctly to work, so only advanced players should attempt it. In addition to this, counting cards only works if multiple hands are played before reshuffling. It doesn’t work with normal Online Blackjack and will only work for live dealer games and when playing in a land-based casino.
- Fewer Decks – Most versions of Blackjack will use multiple decks of cards, normally six or eight. However, if you can find a version that uses fewer decks, you should definitely play it. The fewer decks used, the lower the house edge.
- Martingale Strategy – The Martingale Betting Strategy can be quite effective in Blackjack when paired with a good betting chart. This strategy involves doubling your bet after a loss and reverting to your initial bet after a win.
Online Blackjack Strategy
When playing Blackjack Online, your strategy can change slightly compared to what is done in a land-based casino. Here are some things to keep in mind when playing online.
- Lower Table Limits – Generally speaking, Online Blackjack will have lower betting limits than in a Land-Based Casino. There will even be specific low-limit versions. This allows players to enjoy many rounds without risking much money.
- More Version – One of the biggest benefits of playing online is the wider range of Blackjack versions on offer. Many versions have special rules that can improve your experience and improve your odds of winning.
- Do Not Count Cards – Online Blackjack will reshuffle the cards after every hand. This means that counting cards simply does not work.
- Faster Pace – It is also important to remember that when playing Online Blackjack, the game has a much faster pace. This means you can get double as many hands played in the same amount of time. It is important to keep this in mind because it could mean losing money twice as fast or winning twice as much.
More Blackjack Guides
- How to Play Blackjack
- Tips and Tricks for Blackjack
- Spanish 21
- Atlantic City Blackjack
- Free Online Blackjack
- Double Exposure Blackjack
- European Blackjack
- Top Blackjack FAQs
- Blackjack Glossary
- Blackjack Myths
- Blackjack Variants
- Online Blackjack Switch
- Perfect Pairs Blackjack
Blackjack Strategy FAQs
The very best Blackjack Strategy that you can use is to strictly follow our strategy chart. By following the chart and strictly doing as it says, you will give yourself the best chance possible of walking away a winner.
Yes, it will. Blackjack is one of those casino games where player skill and strategy can make a real difference and lead to more wins. A good strategy will improve your chances of winning but will never completely guarantee winning every hand.
Yes, all top online casinos allow players to win real money when playing Online Blackjack.
This depends on where you play Blackjack. If you’re playing online, counting cards will not work. However, if you’re playing Live Blackjack Online, or at a Land-Based casino, counting cards is a viable option. Keep in mind casinos would rather you didn’t.
Practising your Blackjack Strategy has never been easier. All our recommended Blackjack Casinos allow players to play the game for free. Playing free Blackjack gives players the perfect chance to test out various strategies without risking their bankroll. Make sure you do not ignore the massive advantage that you have!