Online Poker is one of the most popular casino games in Australia and the world. Players compete against each other to build the best possible poker hand. Players can wager each other for real money, using their skills to beat the other players.
This is one of the more popular casino games where players skill can make a real difference. Find the best poker sites in Australia to play real money today!
Best Online Poker Sites Australia
How to Choose Australian Online Poker Casinos
There are a wide range of online casinos and poker sites available to Australian players. With so many choices on offer, choosing the best site can be difficult. We want to ensure that our readers have the best possible poker experience online.
Below, we have outlined our review process. We will take you through what we look for in a poker site, so you will know why we recommend a casino site or why we don’t.
Player Safety & Site Security
As always, our first and most important consideration is player safety. Before we can even consider recommending a poker site, we need to make sure it is properly licenced and regulated. This will make sure that the games are fair and not rigged, and the casino will honour paying out player winnings. In addition to this, we make sure the gambling site has proper safety measures in place to protect player information.
Next up, we look at the variety of poker games on offer. We like to make sure we are recommending casinos that offer a wide range of poker games, including all the most popular variants. We will also check to see if the gambling site offers Poker Tournaments or any other benefits.
Another important consideration is the bonuses and promotions the gambling site offers. This includes looking for Welcome Bonuses, No Deposit Bonuses, and more. Some casinos will offer bonuses for poker games, but keep in mind that some bonuses cannot be used for Poker. However, we still consider the bonuses so that players can have some bonus cash to play other casino games.
Mobile Poker Compatibility
We also check out the casino’s mobile compatibility. Players like being able to play their favourite casino games whenever they want. This means being able to access your poker games from your pc, or mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. We check and make sure that any gambling site we recommend is compatible with a wide range of mobile devices. We also ensure the games are optimised to work on touch screens.
Next up, we check and make sure the customer support is on par with our expectations. We need to make sure that the support staff is available 24-hours a day, and there is a wide range of methods to get in touch with support.
Poker Site Banking
Finally, we consider the banking options on offer. A real money Poker site is useless if players are unable to quickly and easily deposit funds into their account. In addition to this, they will need to be able to easily withdraw their winnings. We check and make sure that there are a wide range of convenient deposit and withdrawal methods on offer, as well as fair terms and conditions.
Popular Poker Variants
Poker is an extremely popular casino game in Australia and around the world. It comes as no surprise that there are numerous different variations that have gained popularity. Below we have outlined some of the most common and popular versions you will find at online gambling sites.
Perhaps the most popular version of Online Poker is Texas Hold’Em. It is played with a standard 52-card deck, with 2-8 players. Players are dealt two cards each, which are known as Hole Cards. The player situated on the dealer’s left is referred to as the Small Blind, and the player on their left is the Big Blind.
The Small blind must place a bet equal to half the bet limit, and the Big Blind must place a bet equal to the bet limit. These bets must be placed before the game can begin and more cards dealt. The positions rotate around the table as each round of betting continues.
Omaha Poker is another popular version of Poker. Each round will begin with players being dealt four-hole cards. Once this is done, players must bet and decide to Check, Fold, or Match. This is then followed by three community cards being dealt, known as the Flop. Players then have another round of betting before another community card is dealt, called the Turn.
There is then one final round of betting before a final community card, the River, is dealt. Players must then use two of their hole cards and three of the community cards to make the best possible hand.
Seven Card Stud
Each new round of Seven Card Stud begins with players placing a small bet known as the Ante. Following this, each player is dealt two cards, with one facing up. The card facing up is called the Third Street.
The player with the lowest ranking Third Street Card must then place another small bet, called the Bring In. The player sitting to their left will start off the next round of betting before a fourth card is dealt to each player.
More Poker Versions
These three are the most popular and common versions of Poker available online. However, these are by no means the only versions of the game available. There are a number of other variants that players enjoy playing. Below is a list of some of the other versions of Poker you might come across.
- Razz Poker
- Five Card Draw
- Omaha Hi-Lo Poker
- Triple Draw
- Irish Poker
- Caribbean Stud
High Ranking Poker Hands
Before you can start playing Poker, you need to understand how hands are ranked and which hands you should be aiming for. We have listed some of the most important poker hands below. These are all traditional high-ranking hands and are generally used in all versions of Poker. It is very important to learn these hands and memorise them.
- Royal Flush – This is the hardest hand to build and the strongest hand. It is made up of a 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace. All of them need to be the same suit.
- Straight Flush – A straight flush is made up of five cards in numerical sequence. They must be from the same suit. For example, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
- Four of a Kind – A hand made up of four cards of the same rank. For example, four 8s, one from each suit.
- Full House – A hand made up of three cards of the same rank, and the other two cards also of the same rank. For example: 4 (Clubs), 4 (Diamonds) 4 (Spades), 6 (Diamonds) 6 (Clubs)
- Straight – Similar to a Straight Flush, five cards in numerical order. However, for a Straight, they do not need to be from the same suit.
- Flush – A hand where all five cards are from the same suit but are not required to be in any numerical order.
- Three of a Kind – Having three cards of the same rank in your hand. For example, three 7s
- Two Pair – A hand that is made up of two separate pairs of cards. For example, two 3s and two 7s.
- One Pair – A hand that is made up with one pair of cards.
- High Card – If there are no winning hands, it is decided by which player has the highest ranked cards.
Online Poker Tips and Tricks
Part of what has made Online Poker so popular is that it is one of the few gambling games where player skill can make a real difference. Skilled Poker players will win far more hands than novice players. This can make it more intimidating for new players, but it is well worth the time and effort to learn.
We have developed a list of a few tips and tricks that new players can use to help make the process of learning the game a bit easier.
- Learn the Hands – The first and most important tip we can give is to spend some time and learn how poker hands are ranked. Players need to know these hands-off by heart and know which hands win and which ones lose.
- Pay Attention to the Game Version – Each version of Poker has its own twist on the rules. It is important to understand the similarities and differences of the poker games.
- Use Free Play – Most casinos will allow players to try out games for free or with bonus money. If you have the option, we highly recommend using it. This will let new players become comfortable with the game before risking real money.
- Stay Sober – Any time you are gambling, it is important to keep a clear mind. Stay away from alcohol or anything else that could cause you to make poor betting decisions. This includes making sure you are not tired.
- Know When to Play – Keep in mind, you do not need to play each hand. If you are dealt cards that you believe are bad and will not give you a chance to win, you can fold and take no further part in that round.
- Play Last – If you have the choice of when to play, we recommend playing last. This will allow you to see what other players are doing and base your decisions on that. However, many versions of Poker do not permit you to decide this.
Online Poker FAQs
Can I play Poker Online?
Yes, you can. There are plenty of online casinos and dedicated poker sites that allow players to enjoy the game online.
Can I win real money playing online Poker?
You certainly can! All out recommended casino sites allow players to gamble for real money. This includes all your favourite casino games, including Poker.
Can I play Poker on my mobile device?
Yes, almost all top casino sites and poker sites are fully compatible with a wide range of mobile devices. This will include smartphones and tablets. The poker games will be fully optimised to work on mobile devices with smaller screens and touch controls.
Do I need to download software to play online Poker?
No, you do not need to download any software. While some casinos and poker sites will offer you that option, you can also log in via your web browser and play without needing to download anything.
How many versions of Poker are there?
There are a wide range of different poker versions on offer. Some of the most popular versions include Texas Hold’Em, Omaha, Seven Card Stud, Caribbean Stud, Razz, and more. Each version has its own unique take on the rules, so be sure to pay attention to how each version is different.
Is video poker the same as Online Poker?
No, they are not the same thing. There are similarities, but Video Poker is a cross between Poker and Pokies. The game is played on an electronic machine, and players are dealt five cards. They keep or discard cards, which are then replaced. Then, it is determined if they have a winning hand. They play against the machine, not against other players.
I am experienced in real-world Poker; will this help online?
Yes, it will. If you have played real-world Poker, you are ready to play online. The rules and everything are exactly the same.
Can I play Online Poker for Free?
Yes, you should be able to. Most casino sites allow players to play casino games for free to test them out. Poker shouldn’t be any different. However, because this game is played against other players, there might be some casinos that do not permit free play.